Thursday, August 9, 2012

William Shakespeare

Alright, admittedly I am not a Shakespeare fan.  I find myself tuning out clouded by the 'fancy' language and sometimes unable to follow the plays because of it.  But, here in England he is a major hero and everyone is, rightfully, proud that he was a Brit. 

I was watching Horrible Histories with the kids this morning, which if you don't know it is a funny sketch show based on the Horrible Histories books filled with funny, gory, and gross facts about history that appeal to kids.  So, it's fun to watch and you learn a few things, too.  One of the sketches on the show was William Shakespeare singing a song about all of his famous phrases, many that we still use today, and I thought I would share.  I never knew most of these were his. How many of these have you used?

"You've got to be cruel to be kind"
"If truth were known"
"Love is blind"
"Seen better days"
"Salad days"
"All the world's a stage"
"Quality of mercy is not strained"
"Such stuff as dreams are made"
"Off with his head"
"This is the short and long of it"
"Brevity is the soul of wit"
"As good luck would have it"
"Green eyed jealousy"
"Stand on ceremony"
"The Queen's English"
"It's Greek to me"
"Meat and drink to me"
"Infinite variety"
"A wild goose chase"
"You can't have too much of a good thing"
"If music be the food of love, play on"
"Et tu, Brute"
"Forever and a day"
"Good riddance"
"Fair play"
"Pure as the driven snow"
"High time"
"Lie low"
"Wherefore art thou Romeo"
"To be or not to be"

No comments: