Friday, August 13, 2021

 


This school year seems…special.  After being out for so long, doing distance learning in their rooms, alone and separated from their friends, teachers, and peers, the kids are back in school.  My freshman and her bodyguard (Senior) are starting their school year with a fresh start, new sense of gratitude, and heightened possibilities.  They so need this.  I am happy for them, but a little sad for me.  I already miss them.  If I’m honest, I really enjoyed having them at home so much more.  I loved the extra hugs, the extra chats, the extra meals shared together.  As I look down the road to the coming year, with Joe finishing high school and moving on, and out, to college, I treasure every moment with them, stolen or otherwise.  I hope when they’re older and look back on their time during the pandemic, maybe they’ll remember the extra time we had together after I got back from Arizona. 

This year Joseph is playing varsity football, again, and wrestling on the varsity team, again.  He’s also an FMP (Freshman Mentor Program), again.  He’s started looking at colleges, gulp, and is working hard as ever towards his goal of being a history teacher when he’s older.  I think he’s still considering/hoping to do some coaching as well.

Jocelyn seems to be embracing her new school life.  She took a fencing class over the summer and is looking forward to fencing for the school, archery, and theatre design and stagecraft.  She’s been getting more and more into her SFX makeup and design, often scaring the shit out of me thinking she’s been injured.  She is certainly my artist, often found drawing or creating something.  I love it.

My hopes for this New Year are high.  

No comments: