Tuesday, May 24, 2011

We Have a New Car!


Today was a big day for me. I drove for the first time.
Since we've been here in England I haven't driven a car. I've ridden with Jon a lot while he drove a rental car. To say these were stressful occurances for me, would be a gross understatement. I would come home after, and head straight for the restroom to try and unclench my stomach. Watching Jon shift (manual car), drive on the right side of the car, the left side of the road, and then zipping in and out of the roundabouts (there are hundreds here), made me sick to my stomach.
So when it came time to buy a car, I pretty much begged Jon for us to try and find an automatic. Please don't get me wrong, I know how to drive a manual, but I wanted to keep it a little more simple for myself, not having to shift quickly over and over and over again through the roundabouts.
We went this last weekend looking for a suitable car and were so excited to find an automatic Volvo. We bought it straight out and had to wait till today to drive it home.
Jon bought me a GPS, and I got to drive the car home. I did a damn fine job if I do say so myself.
The scariest part was getting it into the parking garage with literally only inches to spare on each side of the mirrors to get into the car. Admittedly, I'm not really looking forward to getting out of the garage, it's a bit harder as it has a strange angle and curve.

No comments: