Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Fluffiest Pancakes

Since we've been living in the U.K. we have really missed a lot of our favorite foods.  We don't live in London so finding a diverse selection of restaurants is a bit difficult.  Most restaurants in our area are good ole pubs, and the ethnic offering is Indian or Chinese, both are good, although Jon hates Indian. 

In an effort to subside some of our homesickness and drool over yummy goodies found in the States we'll watch Diners Drive-ins and Dives on the Food Network.  Usually it's the Mexican food and the Pizza that really gets to us, but the other day we watched an episode at The Red Wagon in East Vancouver in which they made Pulled-Pork Pancakes with Jack Daniel Maple Syrup.  It was one of those recipes where you think, I could make that! 

Last night we had homemade pulled pork sandwiches and had some left over and thus our monumental breakfast this morning was born.  I looked online and my favorite recipe that I could find inspired by The Red Wagon was at a blog called Sweet Samsations, which you can find here.  Their pancake recipe looked amazing and both the kids and I agreed.  They are the fluffiest pancakes we've ever made.  They are on the sweet side, so they are great to serve with something savory and you don't need much syrup.  I didn't make the Jack Daniels syrup as I didn't really want the kids drunk before lunch and actually I don't keep it on hand in the house. 

I hope you like these pancakes, I know my little family LOVED them.  Well, all except Jon.  He likes thinner, chewier pancakes.

Fluffiest Pancakes Ever
Makes 5-6 pancakes.  I doubled the recipe when I made it as I like to have some leftover for breakfast the next day, or to pop into the kids' lunches with fresh fruit.

3/4 Cup milk
2  Tablespoons white vinegar
1 Cup all purpose flour
3 Tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
2 Tablespoons melted butter
cooking spray

Directions

  1. Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to “sour”.
  2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg and butter into “soured” milk. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and FOLD. Do not overmix. Leave a couple little lumps in the batter so that the pancakes turn out lumpy and super fluffy!
  3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. These brown very quickly, so watch them carefully and do not let them over-brown.  Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side. Serve!
photo courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/mezzoblue/6933376307/

No comments: