Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Missing you, Dad



So, today is the day.  We 'lost' my Dad one year ago today.  It certainly doesn't feel like it's been a year, but the calendar says it has.  And yet, everything is still so fresh, so raw.  It's still so hard to talk about him without tears in my eyes or a big lump in my throat.  A hundred times a week I am reminded that my Dad is gone.  Mostly when something happens and I want to share it with someone, I think "I should skype with Dad", and then the realization that there is no Dad comes and hammers into me that I will never speak to him again.  I will never hears his laugh, or worse, feel his bear hugs.  My Dad was the one person in the whole world that knew sometimes all I needed was a hug and a reassuring word to feel better.

So it's been a year.  It's time for me to, what, move on?  I don't know how to put into words what I mean to do, except maybe just not be as sad anymore, or as raw.  Maybe smile more, cry less.  I don't really know, but I do know it's time.  Tonight I will cry and remember and know that no matter what, the love my Dad had for me and my children was real, lasting, forever.  I know that I will be okay without my Dad, although with him would have been better.  I will try to let go of the bitterness I feel at times when I see other Grandparents with their grandchildren.  Hopefully, the hole in my heart will heal a little more, though I know it will never go away completely.

November 11, 2014

No comments: