Thursday, January 22, 2015

The BEST Tuna Salad EVER!

I'm not a huge fan of tuna salad, or even just tuna in general.  However, when I saw Geoffrey Zakarian on one of my favorite cooking shows, The Kitchen, on the Food Network the other day, I thought I could give it a try.  I went to buy a can of tuna packed in olive oil, saw the price, and decided I just couldn't pay $4 for a can of tuna, even though Jon and I rarely buy the 'cheap' tuna, $4 a can was just too steep.  So, I bought our normal tuna steak packed in water, and it was absolutely delicious.  I guess, it could have been better with the tuna in olive oil, but I'm fine with what I had.  The recipe I did was tweaked just a bit to suit my tastes and my pantry.  I know it doesn't sound great, at first, but if you try this, you will love it!

Tuna with Celery and Walnuts

Ingredients:
1 Can of tuna, drained
1 Celery stalk minced
3 Tbs walnuts, toasted and chopped
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp capers, drained
1 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbs mayo (optional, I added mine to bind all the rest)
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything well except the capers.  Add those last and fold in.  I liked mine refrigerated for a bit, but you can eat right away and it's great.  I ate mine on crackers.

Aside from the mayo, this is a fabulous way to get that good fat into your body that helps fight bad fat and helps your brain.  Let me know if you try it!

Want to see the original recipe?  Go here.

No comments: