Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Julia Child Is Still an Inspiration!

I am certainly not the world’s foremost expert on Julia Child, but that woman fascinates me. I remember my Dad watching her cooking show when I was a child. I even bought my Dad a book about her life recently; I can’t wait to read it after him. I thought her voice was awfully funny sounding.
As I have grown into the woman I am today, I am in awe of Julia Child. Imagine my excitement, then, when I saw a new movie coming out, “Julie and Julia” with my absolute favorite actress playing Julia Child, Meryl Streep.
The previews I’ve seen have made me idolize Julia Child even more. I didn’t realize the movie was based on a book that I intend to look for at the library the next time I go. I hope you all go see the movie and read the book, I’m going to.
I had the priviledge of viewing the kitchen that Julia donated to the Smithsonian Institute in 2001, in total, when Jon and I visited Washington DC for our Honeymoon. I was astonished at how cluttered, yet tidy, small, yet well organized her kitchen was. If you have a chance, you should definitely visit this exhibit. You can see more of her exhibit here.

Some of my favorite quotes from her are:

"If You Are Afraid of Butter, Use Cream"

"The Only Time to Eat Diet Food is While You're Waiting for the Steak to Cook"

"It's so Beautifully Arranged on the Plate - You Know Someone's Fingers Have Been All Over It"

"I Don't Think About Whether People Will Remember Me or Not. I've Been an Okay Person. I've Learned a lot. I've Taught People a Thing or Two. That's What's Important"

No comments: