Sunday, April 24, 2011

Boyce Thompson Arboretum

Joe's school has a festival each year, Tigerfest. They always have a lot of baskets in a silent auction, and this year, we decided to bid on a couple that had fun things to do around Arizona, like the Renaissance Festival, the Phoenix Zoo, Fiddlesticks, etc. Well, one of the things to do was the Boyce Thompson Arboretum near Surprise and Globe. So, admittedly, I wasn't that thrilled about visiting the arboretum. I just didn't see the point in perusing a botanical garden having lived in Arizona practically my whole life. I guess I figured a cactus is a cactus is a cactus. I am very happy to say, though, that I was so pleasantly surprised. It was absolutely beautiful. Tucked away in a little canyon the arboretum was a place that I would love to go, by myself. I feel a little selfish writing this, as I did enjoy sharing the experience with my family and my Dad. But, for me, I would love to go back and take a whole day to wonder around and almost meditate within the gardens there. It was beautiful and peaceful and soul-enriching. I hope that I brought some of that to the pictures that I took. If you ever have a chance, or you win the Tigerfest silent auction next year, definitely take advantage and go to the Boyce Thompson Arboretum, you will be glad you did.

They had an amazing assortment of plants and cactus for sale.

A cactus fountain that the kids liked.
I loved these little cactus. And, had we been staying and not moving to England I so would have bought one. They were so intriguing looking, like little rocks, but not...












By this point Jocelyn was NOT digging the Arboretum. They had ants, big ones, in fact, and she kept feeling 'ghost ants' on her legs. Here, she was not happy about the BIG needles on this cactus.






I loved the way these barrel cactus looked, all snuggled together.
This was a BOO JUM tree. Amazing, and the tallest thing in the Arboretum. You could see it from so far away.

Grandpa checking the map to see which direction we want to go in next.










April 02, 2011

No comments: