Thursday, July 21, 2011

Soccer, I mean, Football








So, Football here is a VERY BIG deal as I found out last Wednesday during Joe's first football match.

Apparently, he had the choice between doing regular PE or doing the football club for school, and Joe chose football which is coached by his teacher and has his best buddy, here, in it. Then, at the end of the school year, his class has a match against another school. No big deal, right? Wrong.

Joe's match was a bit after school and he was being walked over to the grounds by his coach and teacher. I walked Joci home and she had a snack, and then we headed over to the grounds. The sight that I saw when I got there was surprising. There were a lot of people and they were all cheering and laughing and having a great time. It was obviously a much bigger deal than I thought.

Joe had a great time and really did his best, trying hard and keeping up with all the kids. He did get to kick the ball a few times, and each time did well. I was so proud of him.

All during the match, Joci played with one of her school friends, too, and I talked with some of the other Moms there, mostly about where we were from, why we are in England, and how long we're staying, etc. That's typically what most people want to know about us when we meet new people.

I was told that I should expect to have football take over our lives in the winter, as it's a big deal here when the professional season starts. Now, I believe it, just seeing how excited everyone gets over a kids' friendly football match.

Oh, and the score? It was a draw, one to one.

No comments: