Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


I don’t really talk about my Grandparents much.

My Maternal Grandmother died when I was very young, and my Maternal Grandfather died before my Mom and Dad were married. Their names were Rilus (I have always like that name) and Dorothy.

My Paternal Grandmother and Grandfather were all I had. Their names were Loren and Crystal, and there is no doubt that they loved each other very much.

But, they were not the nicest people, to say the least, and I knew that they disliked me from a very young age. So, and it’s hard for me to write this, I have a hard time reconciling what our relationship really was and what I wish it had been. Many times I am in amazement at how really awesome my Parents are with the kids, and I wish, truly wish I had had that. But things are what they are and towards the end, I stayed away, not wanting to be hurt anymore. But, now, I often find myself thinking about them, and I am able to remember the few times that we had together that were nice and recall them with a smile. Most of these times were spent around the dinner table. My Grandfather was a pretty good cook. He made the most awesome spaghetti macaroni and cheese, fruit salad, and ribs (ok, Jon’s ribs are better, but Grandpa’s were a close second) I’ve ever had!

So, you’re probably wondering what this has to do with St. Patrick’s Day, right?

Well, my Grandfather pretty much ate Corned Beef and Cabbage every New Year’s Day, and if memory serves me, every St. Patrick’s Day, too. No, we’re not Irish, not even close, but tradition is tradition. So, when these holidays come around, well, I think of him and I make up some Corned Beef and Cabbage, but I usually do some potatoes, too. Typically, I’ve brought this to work for pot lucks, but I’ve always had ‘some’ on these holidays.

For New Year’s this year Jon bought me a Reuben sandwich…hey, it counts!

So this morning I have started my Corned Beef roast in the crock-pot. When I get home I will cook up some new potatoes and cabbage and we will all enjoy it. I'm even going to branch out and do some Irish Soda bread. Maybe I’ll tell Jocelyn (Joe is spending a few days of Spring Break with my parents…I hope he’s wearing green!) about the good times I spent with my Grandparents and how lucky she is that she has Grandparents that love her so much and really enjoy spending time with her.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Grandpa!

Sorry I don’t have any pictures of my Grandparents. I don’t have a scanner…yet…to upload my older photos with. Thus why you have not yet seen me with my crazy big hair in the 80’s and 90’s.

No comments: